We are delighted to announce the addition of Anika Therapeutics’ range of products to our joint preservation portfolio.
This U.S. market-leading range offers a safe and well established treatment to patients and health care professionals alike, providing pain relief and increased mobility through the use of a single or multiple Hyaluronic Acid injections.
Hyaluronic Acid or HA is a naturally occurring biocompatible molecule found throughout the body that is a vital component of healthy joints and tissue function. HA is naturally found in high concentrations in the synovial fluid that bathes the knee and other joints. Synovial fluid reduces friction, helps lubricate and cushions articulating joints allowing the bones to move smoothly.
Anika’s Cingal product, the only off the shelf combined HA and steroid injection on the market, is also available through Joint Operations. Cingal offers all users the next generation in pain relief management.
Anika recently announced the publication of Phase III data demonstrating the efficacy and safety of Cingal for the treatment of knee pain associated with Osteoarthritis. The data, published in the May 2017 issue of the Cartilage journal demonstrated that Cingal provides superior immediate and short term pain relief after injection as compared to HA alone, and superior relief from OA-related pain, stiffness and function through 26 weeks as compared to saline.
The key findings included:
- CINGAL reduced WOMAC Pain by 70% at 12 weeks and 72% at 26 weeks as compared to saline – more improvement than that reported in previous viscosupplement studies.2, 3, 4, 5
- CINGAL demonstrated rapid pain relief following administration (a 59% improvement in WOMAC Pain at 1 week and 68% at 3 weeks) – unmatched by prior trials of triamcinolone hexacetonide alone.6, 7
- CINGAL met all primary and secondary endpoints relative to saline in the ITT analysis.
- CINGAL demonstrated significant improvement with respect to most secondary endpoints for pain and function at most time points through 26 weeks.
- At 1 and 3 weeks, CINGAL was significantly better than MONOVISC for most endpoints.
- CINGAL and MONOVISC provided similar benefits from 6 weeks through 26 weeks.
- CINGAL was shown to be safe, and was associated with a low incidence of adverse events (n=6) that resolved over time. There were no serious adverse events considered to be related to CINGAL.
View further information here
Richard Forster, Managing Director of Joint Operations, commented: “We are pleased to have obtained exclusive distribution rights for Anika’s Monovisc, Orthovisc and Cingal range across the UK and Ireland. Adding high quality Viscosupplementation to our portfolio allows us to ensure we are offering the latest technology and a fully rounded joint preservation service to the UK market.”